Sunday, September 10, 2006

See Manning in My Sleep

Is it just me or is anyone else at a saturation point with all these Manning family commercials? The list includes: the one for ESPN, Sprint, Direct TV and NFL merchandise. Since the Mannings’ are competing against each other tonight, every station in the world has shown some piece on the family over the last week.

Now, last year, the Manning MasterCard was fun and entertaining. The commercials were played a lot, but not all at once. Someone’s agent, either Eli’s or Peyton’s, needs to talk to the marketing/PR manager and tell them to relax. Why the sudden push to make both of these players nationally known? Why throw it down our throats? Neither of these players is going to retire next year.

Archie is even hawking products at the moment: "Canon USA, Inc. has tapped former NFL quarterback Archie Manning and sent an e-mail blast to more than 2 million Canon loyalists as part of a campaign that dangles a trip for four to next year's Super Bowl as a grand prize."

I agree it was a smart plan to include all three QBs (including their father) in commercials since they can relate to a wide range of fans.

I understand it is important to make money when it is available and I also understand this is a perfect time to help create a “Manning brand” away from football. I am concerned that fans are going to be stuck watching all these commercials throughout the season and some “may” get stick of seeing this family on television. I am already at that point.

1 Comments:

At 10:09 AM, Blogger Andy said...

I was just thinking the same thing. He's even in a Gatorade Rain commercial. I bet he saw KG's ad and immediately called up his agent: Cool! I want to burst out of a football! Whatever, he's laughing all the way to the bank.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home