Sunday, July 30, 2006

Speaking With the Media 101

Below are two interesting and extremely different quotes from NFL rookies that I read today in the Boston Globe. After you read both quotes, you can see one player has spent time working with their college's sports information department or NFL PR team to prepare for media interviews while the other needs some serious PR help.

Pittsburgh Steelers rookie Santonio Holmes:

Santonio Holmes, offered no apologies, or excuses, for being arrested twice since being the first receiver selected in April's draft. “I haven't gotten any negative feedback from any fan I have seen around the city since I've been here, which is about a month and a half,” Holmes said. “So I don't think I have anything to say to those guys. They know what I can do on the field, what type of person I am on and off the field.”

New England Patriots third-round pick David Thomas:

”It was a heck of a throw and it's my job to catch it,” said Thomas, who left the University of Texas as its all-time leader in receptions by a tight end (98). “That's a play Tom expects himself to make and a play I expect myself to make to be successful at this level. With the circumstances being what they are, I've been given a chance out there that a lot of rookies don't get, so I'm just trying to work hard and do my best.”

Both of these players went to top ten college football programs -- Holmes (Ohio State) and Thomas (Texas). I am shocked that no one in Holmes' camp (agent or team's PR staff) has not sat him down and given him a couple of partylines if reporters ask him about being arrested. If they did speak to him and he still offered that quote, the Steelers should keep him away from the media. If he was arrested twice, he needs to make a public apology to the team, his teammates and the fans. He is paid an obnoxious amount of money to play football. Someone needs to talk with him.

Like it or not, other than a player's performance on the field, the media is integral in helping to create a positive image which can lead the marketing dollars for athletes in the future. Thomas is on the right track, but who knows where Holmes will end up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home