Thursday, July 13, 2006

Baseball's Popularity Continues

Now I know a plethora of readers will continue to say that the NFL is America's pastime. I hate to agree, but when you look at the numbers, that is the case. The number two spot is somewhat up in the air. NASCAR, which has the most loyal fans in all of sports, continues to grow every year. Developers around the country continue to create racetracks. I thought I remember reading that New York will have a racetrack and a NASCAR race by 2008. Where is that race going to come from since NASCAR doesn’t want to add any more races to the season. Hello NHIS, with its two races a year. If you are a sponsor of a Chase for the Cup race, where do you want the race to be held -- NYC or NH?

Editor's Note -- yes, that was a total tangent and I have no clue if this really will happen.

What I wanted to say is baseball may be moving back into the number two sport in America. Check out the interesting statistics from today's MediaDailyNews regarding the All-Star Game.

"A DAY AFTER FOX ANNOUNCED it reached a new deal to carry the baseball All-Star game for the next seven years, ratings for Tuesday's game could have validated the investment. The game posted a 9.3 household rating, 15 percent above last year's contest, while the performance in the 18-to-34 demo also saw improvements. Among adults 18-to-34, ratings rose 15 percent over 2005 to a 4.5, while in the male 18-to-34 segment, ratings jumped 17 percent to 6.2, tying a five-year high."

I know I am biased, but I don't think there is another All-Star Game in any sport that receives as much fan interest, media interest and sponsor interest as MLB's All-Star Game. Look how much money Chevy, Taco Bell, Century 21, etc put into All-Star Week festivities. I just wonder how MLB can bottle this interest and excitement all season long...

3 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Blogger Andy said...

I have to admit that All-Star game was pretty good. Ha, ha NL!

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Andy said...

I have to admit I'm a little confused to read this after the 4-part series entitled, "Demise of MLB"

What's a guy who only marginally cares about baseball in the first place supposed to think?

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Milne said...

That's what is so confusing about baseball. In some aspects, they are doing better than ever. In other ways, they still need to grow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home